BBC radio asked Leah, is 16 too early?
BBC Radio 'After the Watershed' spoke to us this evening about losing one's virginity and if 16 is too early as a recent research article found that a third of women and a quarter of men regret having had sex early in life.
Virginity. What a topic, forever discussed as a matter of a legal issue. Yet, let's stop for a second and consider the facts:
* Sex is equally a physical and a mental activity.
* Age is not a measure of maturity.
* Virginity is not a one time thing, it's a process of continuous exploration and doing new things at every stage in life.
* The virginity discourse is mostly focused on penetrative sex between men and women, it is engulfed in a hetero-centric language discriminating LGBTQIA+ communities and experiences of sexual experiences that may not be penetrative and involving penis - vagina intercourse.
Three of the many reasons why you should not have sex: * Pressure. From anyone or anything - it's not worth it. * Fear of missing out. Rushing it because you think you'd miss out means you're more likely to miss out on a positive and mature experience than if you take your time.
* To be popular and create or maintain a 'status'.
The one and only reason why you should have sex:
* Because you want it for yourself.
Do you want to listen to the show? Click here.